Distribution of Privacy Notice
Applies to the Administrative Requirements of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996. 45 CFR Section 164.520
The privacy practices of the Employee Benefit Plan, designed to protect the privacy, use and disclosure of Protected Health Information (PHI), are clearly delineated in the Employee Benefit Plans’ Notice of Privacy Practices (Notice) which was developed and is used in accordance with the Privacy Rule.
- The privacy practices of the Employee Benefit Plan are described in its Notice.
- The Notice is distributed to all new participants at enrollment. All current participants received the Notice as of the compliance date. All participants receive a revised Notice within 60 days of any material revision to the Notice. The Notice is provided to the named participant or employee for the benefit of all dependents.
- The Notice is available to anyone who requests it. Participants have the right to receive a paper copy of the Notice, even if they previously agreed to receive the Notice electronically.
- All current participants are notified at least once every three years of the availability of the Notice and provided with instructions on how to obtain it.
- The Notice is reviewed with all current workforce members who perform Employee Benefit Plan functions during their initial training and annually thereafter.
- The Notice is revised as needed to reflect any changes in the Employee Benefit Plan’s privacy practices. Revisions to the policies and procedures are not implemented prior to the effective date of the revised Notice.
- When revisions to the Notice are necessary, all current participants, workforce members who perform Employee Benefit Plan functions receive a revised copy of the Notice.
- The Privacy Official retains copies of the original Notice and any subsequent revisions for a period of six (6) years from the date of its creation or when it was last in effect, whichever is later.
- All workforce members who perform Employee Benefit Plan functions are required to adhere to the privacy practices as detailed in the Notice, privacy policies and procedures.
- Violations of the Employee Benefit Plan's privacy practices will result in disciplinary action up to and including termination of employment or contracts.
- The Notice is prominently displayed and available electronically on the Employee Benefit Plan's Web site at http://www.missouristate.edu/human
Effective Date: April 14, 2003